Thursday, January 29, 2015

Friendly Friday: The Nod



If you are not watching Blackish, you need to start. It is as good as Modern Family, New Girl and the Mindy Project (all tops in my book). This week we caught a re-run where the family was talking about "the nod."  Its spot on with my idea of saying hello (except you know I am white Jewish lady but I think its universal)

This week I have not done a great job with my resolution to say hello first.  I ran into the grandmother of the boy for whom I styled the bar mitzvah.   I have seen her several times since, but she <i>never</i> remembers me.  I didn't have time to go through the whole thing, but then we ended up seated next to each other.  The whole time she kept staring at me, obviously trying to figure it out.  I could have solved the mystery and been polite in approximately 30 second.  I really regret that I didn't do it. Similarly, I was meeting a colleague at my old work to talk business (more on that later).  I used to work exclusively in the Family Court; if our meeting had been there it would have been like  old-home week, with me high-fiving everyone (okay, maybe I am just imagining that part).   Anyhow, we met at the Civil Courts Building, where nobody knows me.  Like nobody--even with a bar card in my hand, they made me go through the metal detector and take off my shoes.  And I was sock-less.  Sock-less with a half-worn off pedicure when I saw another attorney I know.  I should have owned it, but instead I kept my head down and prayed he didn't see me.  Probably no harm done, but it still would have been nice to be nice!  Next week is a great time to try again!      

No comments: