Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Crack Corn and I don't.........

I posted this a few weeks back but am sharing again with Kellys Korner SUYL because its sooo good.

I originally titled this post "Jimmy Crack Corn And I don't Care."  It is a reference to a song that I sang as a child in Memphis, TN.  I just looked up the lyrics and it doesn't mean what I thought.  I am not even sure if I know the song at all.  I do know Crack Corn, though.
Do you know crack corn? I usually make it once in the Fall as a dessert-snack-combo to accompany chili. I made it recently just for kicks.  It is my favorite salty and sweet treat, but I rarely make it because it is seriously dangerous.   You can get burnt making it and you can definitely get "burnt" by its truly addictive quality.  Proceed with caution.
  Come a little closer if you dare:
Can you smell the buttery-sweet goodness?  Can you taste the hint of salt?  Can you feel it melting in your mouth?  If not, I suggest you make some right away so that you, too, will know crack corn.


  1. Gather your ingredients: 2 sticks of butter, 1/2 cup of light corn syrup, 1 cup of brown sugar. I teaspoon of baking soda and a bag of this: 
  1. This is one of those bizarre products that is made by several different brands and is certainly in your grocery store even though most people have never heard of it.  If you are familiar with Pirates' Booty, it is like that but with no cheese topping.  It is so much better to use than actual popcorn because there are no kernels and the porous texture soaks up all the coating!
  2. In 2 quart sauce melt the butter.


  1. Then add sugar & corn syrup, and bring to a boil.  


  2. Cook for 2 minutes before adding the the baking soda, which will cause the caramel mixture to foam up.Stir well and remove from heat.
  3. Pour over puff corn in a roaster or on cookie sheet with sides.  I like to line it with non-stick aluminum and use a silicon spoon to stir it because plastic will melt.  Bake in 350* oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes.  The color develops a bit each time

  4. Remove from oven, spread out onto wax paper to cool (I just break up any chunks and cool on the non-stick aluminum).  The recipe makes a ton and it stays in an air tight container for a few weeks, though it rarely lasts very long!  
    I put ours in these adorable little treat bags from the dollar spot .  It makes crack corn even sweeter, don't you think???

Linking up with:

3 comments:

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

I have never heard of this! YUM! It's exactly the kind of thing I would love, so yes, it would be very dangerous for me to make. Plus, I don't think I have ever seen the puffs anywhere!

shortybear said...

interesting.

Renae said...

I am so glad you shared this, there is this place called Buccees that near where I live and they sell these and they are so good, I will for sure be trying out this recipe to make my own.